logo
Doņa Ana County Historical Society
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Committed to encouraging and promoting a greater appreciation and knowledge of the historical and cultural heritage of Southern New Mexico since 1963.

About Us
Membership
Newsletters
Annual Review
Awards Luncheon
Grants
Contact Us
Publications

Calendar Of Events / Programs                                                                                                               Meetings are held at the Las Cruces Good Samaritan Village in the Stucky Auditorium downstairs in the main activites building, 3011 Buena Vida Cir., at 7 p.m. unless otherwise specified. Monthly programs are free and open to the public.
Nov. 20, 2014
Nathan Brown, NMSU Digital Librarian
The controversary surrounding the name of NMSU's yearbook - The Swastika - from 1907 to the 1980s.
Jan. 31, 2015
12 Noon
Annual Awards Banquet at the Double Eagle Restaurant in Mesilla. Special presentation about old St. Genevieve Catholic Church. Reservations Required - a printable reservation form is in the November newsletter & can mailed in with your check.
Feb. 19, 2015
Alex Mares
Telling traditional winter stories from Navajo, Pueblo and Apache tribes.
March 19, 2015
Nathan Stone
The manager of Fort Selden Historic Site on the site's management plan and help from Friends of Fort Selden.

Quick Links
Our History and Mission
How we started in 1963 and what we do.
Join Us
Membership form. Print it from your browser, fill it out by hand and mail it with your check or bring to a monthly program.
Monthly Newsletter
Newsletters as PDFs going back to 2006.
Southern New Mexico Historical Review
Annual collection of articles covering historical events and people in Southern New Mexico. The Review as PDFs going back to 1994.
Awards Luncheon Program
An event program is printed each year for the annual luncheon.  The luncheon programs as PDFs going back to 2013.
Scholarships / Grants
The DACHS has an endowment fund to help support area history researchers. An application form is available for the different grants and / or scholarships.
Publications
A variety of publications  the DACHS has available. Also, a suggested reading list of books covering Southern New Mexico's rich history -- from conquistadors to V-2 rockets.
Awards
The DACHS has developed a number of awards that are available for places and people each year. Some have small cash awards associated with them.
Who We Are
The board of directors and officers.
How To Contact Us
Addresses for snail mail and email.
Other Links Of Interest
A short list of links to sources for historical information

The Doņa Ana County Historical Society's Stagecoach

DACHS stage coachThis coach was identified by Kenneth Wheeling, editor of the Carriage Journal, as a “hack passenger wagon, model 209,” manufactured by the Abbot-Downing Company.  The company was most famous for its Concord coach but made over 40 different wagons and carriages.

This one belongs to the Doņa Ana County Historical Society and is on loan to the New Mexico Farm and Ranch Heritage Museum in Las Cruces, N.M. The coach is believed to have been used to carry passengers from El Paso (Franklin City), Texas to Parral, Mexico from 1852 to 1871. Hugh Milton believed it was used on the Santa Fe to Chihuahua route.

Around 1972, Dr. Paul Jones bought the coach after it was found in an old army garrison south of Chihuahua, Mexico. The coach was restored prior to its appearance in the 1976 Las Cruces bicentennial parade with money raised by the high school students of both Las Cruces and Mayfield.

The coach was donated by Dr. and Mrs. Paul Jones to the historical society in December 1975.

In 2013, DACHS member George Helfrich spearheaded an effort to repair and restore the coach’s four wheels.  Much of the wood was rotten and it was getting dangerous to try and roll the coach from its display position. The work was completed in May 2014.

The cost to repair the rear wheels was $1,736 making the total cost to rebuild all four wheels $3,270. Repair efforts involved complete disassembly of the wheels, replacement of most spokes with new hickory spokes and replacement of the felloes (the wood sections bolted to the steel rims) with new sections made of ash wood. The steel rims and the composition hubs were cleaned and tightened as needed. George painted the wheels locally.

Now the coach can be safely moved in the exhibit hall as needed. Also, it may be possible to move the coach to offsite locations for display in the future.

George and wheelGeorge Helfrich displays one of the restored coach wheels after he painted it.